Saturday, March 04, 2006

Beauty is a subjective thing

Ok, I know I am a little slow at this, but I still want to blog about figure skating at the olympics.

The exhibation show gala at the end of the figure skating competition was awesome!!! I have to wake up at 3.30am in the morning to watch and get ready to go to school at 5.30am. And I slept at 12am. Yes yes, my eyes were so glued that it was amazing that I could get out of bed. But hey, my main worry was that I missed Evgeni Plushenko's performance (the show actually start at 2am). Luckily, he was the last to come out!!! (big finale performance) He was so awesome...my eyes were fully opened by the time he finished his 1st show (he was supposed to skate for 2 shows, the 2nd being an encore for olympic champion). OMG....it's crazy. He was really really really really good. I am so glad for the show to be telecast on ch5 because I want my friends to really know that he is really really good and I am not blind in liking him and adding him to my list of fave sport stars. And guess what? My friends did think that he was good....Juliana is convinced that he was great, nicole thought that he was the best skater out of everybody( which means everybody...even the champion female and pair skaters), Adeline was simply asking me when is the next skating show....I have to promise jul 10 blank dvds in return for her recording the live show on dvd(she has to stay up through the night to record for me) but it was so worth it.

So now after figure skating competitions at the olympics, my list of fave skaters is out.

Men : Evgeni Plushenko. (nickname = zhenya [given by his family I think], [for my purpose] plushie, plushy and plush)

http://www.evgeniplushenko.net/congrats.shtml
Ladies: Sasha Cohen (real name is alexander pauline)


http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/photo?slug=56165226sj217_olympics_day_&prov=getty

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/photo?slug=56165223jm007_olympics_day_&prov=getty

Ice-dancing : Tanith Belbin And Benjamin Agostohttp://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/photo?slug=56165217bl134_olympics_day_&prov=getty

I have no fave in pair skating.

Evgeni is good in everything, from footwork to spins to skate jumps. And he skates with lotsa passion. And pushes skating to a new height. My absolute fave.

Sasha is very light on her feet, with fabulous jump and skating position and her spins are so good....right speed and good variations. She has one of the straightest backs in skating. But she has never been clean (ie she always fall at least once). That is one of the main reason why she has always clinched the silver but seldom the gold medal. And she is pretty.

Tanith and Benjamin has very good program components. Their skate is often clean and very passionate. But their technical part (ie lifts and spins) is not very difficult but I will be watching them cos they have the time on their side.

Tanith....I like this name. Digress a bit. It is now on my list of "what christian name should I give myself?"

Oh man, I am suffering from the lack of figure skating on tv...

Thanks to those friends of mine who listen and listen to all the crap I said....PLUSHIE PLUSHIE PLUSHIE. I know it's kinda hard on them but I can't stop myself!!! It's a new obession of mine. Thanks friends!!!! You people really understands me and let me rattle and try to listen...thanks!!!!

And to those that shut me up (there were quite a few), I dunno if you will be reading this, but screw you. You dun understand passion and obession and love. And that to me, you are devoid of emotions.

Someone asked me once( I forgot who) this question. Why do you like watching sports so much? My answer to her is (I am pretty such it was a her), why not? Sports is great. It shows the true passion and commitment into the sports. It's all about pushing to new heights. It's about performing to your best. The emotions involved are real, geniune and never fake. I guess we Singaporeans have never experienced the feeling of winning because we are not a great sports nation and that's why they dun understand. I seek for something that is more exciting and genuine and sports gives me that. No doubt I suck at sports, but watching it gives me such an emotional rush that it's incredible.

Why figure skating? To me, that is one sport that is different. I think there was one ice-dancer ( I think it was the russian girl who won the ice-dancing...Tatiana Novak) who said something like this......other athletes dun understand skating. They compete without makeup and in sports suits. I compete with full makeup and fake lashes and clothes that glitters and shimmers. Something like that. Skating is a beauty sport. Not only requires your stamina to be good, it requires one to execute beauty through all the lifts you are doing and if in pairs, it requires coodination and trust. It just reminds me of dancing. And there are people who continue to push skating to new heights ( ie doing more unusual lifts and spins)...so much so that it becomes incredible. There is true beauty to it.

Talking about beauty, let me digress. A few days ago, on my way to school, I saw a couple walking into the train. The man was holding the girl's handbag and she was heading to the only one seat avaliable in that cabin. The girl sat down and held out her hand for her bag. She had her full makeup on, with super feminine clothes and heels. She sat with her back fully straight, no hair or clothes out of place. The guy just kept staring at her. I was amazed. Why? I dun understand. Girls dun have to be like that. A little mess do no harm. The kind of beauty this girl has is kinda artificial to me. It tells me that she is insecure, hiding her face behind a mask with colours. I know, I may fall into this kind of trap one day....but I hope not. I dislike people with makeup on when they come to school or stuff. Ok, I mean heavy makeup. I dun really mind light ones. But full on? Come on, dun these people feel tired at all? To maintain such a mask behind who you really are? The most beautiful comes from inside!!! Not from clothes you wear and the paint on the face!!!! Going to school have to put makeup? It's ridiculous.

Yes yes, I know girls have to be pretty and stuff. But this? It's too much.

That's why I say that skating has beauty and it comes from inside ie from emotions executed from the movements, lifts and spins. I am attracted by that kind of beauty.

Ok, I am rattling too much. I doubt anyone understands what I just said, or even bother to read it.

Adeline: You are not so critical la. And thanks for the support you show to plushie ok? Support him together!!!!

Anyway, anyone knows how to burn dvd???

Ok, I have to go now. Going out later.

Cheerios.

ferngrass Loves her Break@2:29 PM | 2 comments