Friday, February 17, 2006

Men's Figure Skating!!!!

I am so guilty. I couldn't finish watching ice-skating (the techincal term olympics used for that event is figure skating....) last night....!!!!I plonked on my couch and fell asleep in the middle of the programme!!! Last night was the Men's free skate....which is longer than the short programme...but luckily I recorded it...

And my fave skater won!!!! Evgeni Plushenko won!!! Ok, I admit. I never watch ice-skating until the start of this winter games...but after I watched Plushenko at the short program, I knew I must watch him at the free skate!!!

For most of you out there, I know u must be confused at what I am talking about. Ok, I dont really understand the rules and how the scores are computed at figure skating. But I know that to determine the winners, you have to add the short programme and the free skate components together. These skaters will do the short program on 1 day, which last like 2 mins to me, and free skate on another day that is about 4 mins. On the short program day, 24 out of 30 top skaters will qualify for the free skate. Any falls will result in 1 mark deduction. There are a few elements in the program that you have to compete...and it looks like most skaters have the most trouble at triple axel, which the skater has to jump into the air and do 3 spins before landing...and most people landed badly....There are other elements like bar spins, triple spins and others.

Seriously, there are quite a lot of these "tricks" and I cant differentiate one from the other. But for someone as dummy as me, you still can differentiate the better skaters from the worst....and Plushenko was the obvious best. He had a gapping 27 pts between the him and the 2nd-placed skater!!! The rest were like 4- 5 pts behind each other...he was leading in short program, and he was leading in free skate...how good is that??

And the best is, he looks kinda like Ian Thorpe!!! The skinner, lankier, graceful-er, less tan-ner, blond version of Ian thorpe...

Oh well, I am so in love with sports...

Jeffery Butle won the bronze, and Stéphane Lambiel won the silver.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/photo?slug=olypa22902162135.winter_olympics_figure_skating_men_free_skate_tr2_russia_olypa229&prov=ap

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/photo?slug=56165212mc113_olympics_day_&prov=getty


Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/photo?slug=56165212mc174_olympics_day_&prov=getty

All these are Evgeni Plushenko....he really does look a little like Ian Thorpe right???

Jeffery Buttle....he is gorgeous too...witha great smile...

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/photo?slug=olypa14102162232.winter_olympics_figure_skating_men_tr2_canada_olypa141&prov=ap

Stephane Lambiel

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/photo?slug=56165212mc172_olympics_day_&prov=getty

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/photo?slug=56165212mc195_olympics_day_&prov=getty

Just go to the winter olympics 2006 website if you want to know more about it....

I love figure skating!!!!

Cheerios....

ferngrass Loves her Break@4:48 PM | 0 comments